Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Skip to main content

International Megan’s Law Complaint Form for Traveling Sex Offenders


The International Megan's Law (IML) complaint form is specifically designed for those individuals whose travel or attempted travel was affected by an International Travel Notice sent by the United States Marshals Service (USMS). The United States Marshals Service will not review complaints about any aspects of International Megan's Law that are not based upon U.S. Marshals Service notifications, including the passport provisions, or notifications made by other agencies.

The International Megan's Law was signed as PL 114-119, by President Barack Obama, on February 8, 2016.

34 U.S.C. § 21504

(a) IN GENERAL.-The United States Marshals Service's National Sex Offender Targeting Center may –

(1) transmit notification of international travel of a sex offender to the destination country of the sex offender, including to the visa-issuing agent or agents in the United States of the country;

(2) share information relating to traveling sex offenders with other Federal, State, local, and foreign agencies and entities, as appropriate;

(3) receive incoming notifications concerning individuals seeking to enter the United States who have committed offenses of a sexual nature and shall share the information received immediately with the Department of Homeland Security; and

(4) perform such other functions at the Attorney General or the Director of the United States Marshals Service may direct.

President Barack Obama

U.S. Marshals Service National Sex Offender Targeting Center

Phone: (202) 616-1600

The Department of Justice Certification of Identity must be submitted with each International Megan's Law Complaint Form prior to processing.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the International Megan's Law and when was it passed?

On February 8, 2016, President Barack Obama signed the International Megan's Law to Prevent Child Exploitation and Other Sexual Crimes through Advanced Notification of Traveling Sex Offenders, more commonly referred to as "International Megan's Law" (IML).

Whom does the International Megan's Law apply to?

The International Megan's Law has notable provisions that may impact all registered sex offenders who intend to travel outside of the United States.

Whom do I notify that I am traveling and when do I need to do so?

The International Megan's Law and the relevant Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA) guidelines require that all registered sex offenders report international travel to their respective sex offender registry at least 21 days prior to departure from the United States. Emergency travel must be reported as soon as travel is scheduled.

Can I be arrested if I don’t report travel?

Although not all states require that you report international travel, you may be subject to federal prosecution if you fail to provide notice of international travel or file a false travel notice with your registry.

Can I personally submit an International Travel Form to the United States Marshals Service (USMS), National Sex Offender Targeting Center?

No. All International Travel Notices must be completed and submitted by your local sex offender registry.

Does the U.S. Marshals Service decide if a sex offender can enter a foreign country?

No. The U.S. Marshals Service does not make any recommendations, nor does it have the authority to deny or approve entry of an offender into a foreign country. It is up to sovereign governments to decide to whom they will allow entry, and to whom entry will be denied. Notification of travel does not authorize entry into a foreign country, nor does it serve as permission to travel. It is highly recommended that any offender traveling internationally contact the consulate or embassy of their anticipated destination to determine if entry will be authorized.

Is the U.S. Marshals Service the only law enforcement agency who sends international travel notices?

No. International travel notices may be sent by other law enforcement agencies without knowledge of, or consultation with, the U.S. Marshals Service .

Can I make a complaint if I am a victim of an erroneous notification?

Any individual who traveled internationally and was denied entry into a country based upon a notification believed to have been made in error by the U.S. Marshals Service may make a complaint. The complaint form can be located under Tab "Forms" . Note that this form is only for the individual who was the subject of a U.S. Marshals Service notice, and not family members or other traveling companions.

Whom may I contact if I have more questions?

You may contact the U.S. Marshals Service National Sex Offender Targeting Center at 202-616-1600.